Author, lecturer and key-note presenter, Colleen Kelly, first started her career in exercise physiology, some 35 years ago, becoming a world leader in her field, lecturing at the world’s highest Universities and equine events, including the World Equestrian Games.
Colleen retired from teaching horse riders which included Olympians and Paralympic medallists to write her explosive “tell-all” novel “The Last Wild Horse“.
The previous Spokeswoman for the WorkCover Authority, Colleen still speaks to high schools and industry on her passion: movement and posture in the workplace.
Awards & Honours
- Judge – Only judge to get 100% in Official Judge’s Exam
- Key-Note Presenter – World Equestrian Games Festival, USA
- Police – Plaque from London Metropolitan Police (mounted escort to Queen of England’s Guards.)
- Olympians – Olympic team members & paralympic medalists
- Philanthropist – raised a quarter of a million dollars for disabled programs around the world
- Work with disabled. Four awards: Riding for Disabled
- Universities 5-time speaker at the International Symposium at the University of Kentucky, Asbury University & Midway Universities in addition to Virginia Tech, Penn State, Queensland Uni, Averett Uni etc.
TV & film
- Author & presenter on nearly 350 horse training videos
- Judge & Panellist on the hit TV Show “America’s Favourite Trail Horse”
- Guest presenter on Irish Horse TV
- Horse Talk TV
- Speaking of Horses
- Entire official teacher training for the ISRB in South Africa, USA, Australia, NZ & UK & at the University of Kentucky, Asbury Uni and Midway Universities.
- Dog & cat training
- USEF – National Training Conference
- World Equestrian Games 2010
- University of Kentucky, Asbury University, Midway University, Virginia Tech, Averett University, Meredith Manor
- Friesian World Championships
- Reining World Championships
- Grand Prix Judge’s Clinic & AGM
- National PC Meeting, Toronto
- Clinics & lectures throughout Canada – incl Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Metro Toronto Convention Center
- Key-note & closing presenter: International Pony Club Championships
Australia & NZ
- Sydney International CCI***
- Melbourne International CCI***
- Equitana, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
- Auckland ISRB teacher training
- Wellington ISRB clinic
- Invitation to Auckland Equitana (before retirement)
- Several teaching tours – including official ZANEF event
- Key note presenter – SA Lipizzaners – subsidiary of the Spanish Riding School
- International FEI Veterinary Conference
- Invitation from the SA Pony Club to tour all regions to teach the ISRB training program (before retirement)
- Key Note – Royal Dublin Show
- Clinics & lectures throughout England & Ireland
- London Metropolitan Police – mounted escort to the Queen of England’s guards
- ISRB official teacher training
- Roadshow – Aintree Racecourse, Liverpool
With a specialty in Mounted Police Training helping officers stay on and be safe – I have the following wonderful references from the Police I have taught at:
- Houston Police
- Austin Police
- Lexington Police
- London Metropolitan Police (Queen of England’s Mounted Guard)
- NAPEC (Police National Championships)
- USA National Police Colloquium Kentucky
- Tampa Police
- Alburquque Mounted Police
- Lord Strathcona Mounted Garrison – Canadian Mounted Police
- From the First Lady of Kentucky
- University of Kentucky
- FEI Dressage Festival – Key Note Presenter
- Equine Extravaganza
- Averett University
- University of Queensland
- Pegasus Pony Club
- Queensland Horse Council
- Paracombe Pony & Equestrian Club
- Kellyville Riding Club
- Suncoast Pony And Riding Club
- OFFICIAL JUDGE: Sydney Royal Show
- Riding for Disabled – Tall Timbers
- Wandin Park 3DE
- Appaloosa State Championships
- Equicon Conference Vic
- Missouri State University
- Meredith Manor, WV
- Asbury University, KY
- Midway University, KY
- Penn State (New Bolton Center)
- Horse World Expo (MD and PA) several times
- Equine Affaire, CA, OH, MASS several times
- IRELAND: Key Note Presenter – Dublin Royal Show (Aga Khan’s Nation’s Cup – Show Jumping).
- Official Judge: Sydney Royal Show
- Wandin Park 3DE
- STATE CHAMPS: Appaloosa (Dressage)
- CANADA: Grand Prix Judge’s Clinic – Key Note Presenter “The Rider Mark”
- STATE CHAMPS: Arabian Horse Ascn (Dressage)
- ACT State Dressage Association
- Dressage Rider’s Training Association
- AUSTRALIA: National Horse Festival
- STATE CHAMPS: 3DE/ Horse Trials.
- WorkCover Authority of NSW
- Kardella South Pony Club
- Riding for Disabled Awards
- AUSTRALIA: National Disability Conference: Key-Note Presenter
Work with disabilities
Colleen first donated a lecture to Riding for Disabled at Arundel Park in the early 1990’s to help train their coaches – nearly 30 years ago – and thus started her long career teaching disabled riders, therapy programs, specialist autistic programs, hippotherapy and uniting horses and dogs with people with disabilities.
Colleen has worked with many para-equestrians around the world, including famous Paralympic Medallists, and has received four awards from Riding for Disabled, and many more from therapy programs around the world. Colleen trained three horses in a row to win National Championships Classes in Dressage for Paralympians.
Everyone remembers Colleen’s performances with “Patch the Wonderdog” and “Rex the Wonderhorse” starring together – both at liberty in the massive open fields of places like the Vision 21 Expo at the huge Carrara Facility on the Gold Coast where either her dog or horse could have simply run straight into the crowds – because they were at liberty!
Every clinic Colleen has ever done has included a Friday night lecture, and the night is always run by the local Riding for Disabled or Therapy Program, and Colleen has always donated 100% of the proceeds to their working with dogs and horses programs…however – who would have thought that after nearly 30 years of training animals for people with disabilities – that Colleen would wind up in need of a service dog herself!
Colleen’s breast cancer story…
It’s been a long haul since Colleen Kelly lost her cousin & sister to breast cancer, and then diagnosed herself. Read her inspirational personal breast cancer story.