To my dear friends, ex-pupils, followers and fans around the world:
Yesterday, on my birthday, I sat in hospital, astounded at my social media exploding. I am therefore going to make ONE statement about all of this:
- Social Media. I have deleted my social media. Facebook & Twitter is now used to sow hate with so many fake accounts. People get bits of information and spread crazy gossip, and I’ve had enough. To know what’s going on in my life – this is only place I will post from now on.
- Coronavirus. Firstly you can read my breast cancer blog to see why I was immunosuppressed in the first place.
Yes, I attended an event where someone was very sick sneezing & coughing with whom I spent many hours a few weeks ago.
– Did she want to deliberately infect people? Of course not.
– Was it stupid & unprofessional for her to be there? Absolutely.
– Was I mad at her? Yes. But she’s learned her lesson, and taught a valuable lesson to all of you – to stay home when you’re sick – it’s not about you – it’s about us.
Yes, I then spent a week thinking I was “lazy” with lots of headaches & Netflixing. A week later, I woke up with a VERY sore throat, and by that night I was already coughing badly.
- My video of me walking to hospital. I called GC Hospital who said call 13HEALTH, who said call my GP, who said call Robina Hospital, who said call 13HEALTH again who told me to come to hospital – but – not by taxi or public transport & not by ambulance – as they were for emergencies only. I can’t drive, due to poor vision, and I would not risk a friend’s life by asking them for a lift. I walk every day on the beach, so I’m used to it, and I took the safest option to protect the public – I walked. But, I didn’t realize I was so breathless, that’s when I made the video of me walking that went viral with hundreds of thousands of views. Soon after, an ambulance took me the final leg.
- My tests. I arrived at GC Hospital: swabbed, blood, urine, and after a chest xray showed some spots, started on iv antibiotics, ventolin, pain relief, and medicine for my VERY high blood pressure and blood clots.
- Results. My first tests came back as “weak negative” – so I was at the end of incubation (that explains the Netflixing for a week). I told the doctors four other people had sore throats as well – but as their symptoms had gone, and the incubation period was over that very day, they said hospitals would not have tested them anyway.
- Treatment I was kept in pressurised isolation room (my “claim to fame” being in the same area as Tom Hanks!). I was eventually moved (still in isolation & coughing badly) to a less secure room, and finally I was testing totally negative, and staff stopped protective clothing. Now, I’ve made it home to self isolation for what might be 3 months to build my strength. (BTW…never met Tom Hanks…awww!).
- Controversy on social media. Firstly, let me say, if I use my well-earned 40-year hard-won international platform against something – I DAMN WELL MEAN IT. No apologies – none whatsoever. So…here I go – with my “Irish dander” up:
a) I find people’s hoarding products from the needy DISGUSTING.
b) I find people’s attending non-essential events like pony club, football, or even dinner parties DISGUSTING – that they think their event is more important than taking a silent killer back to the elderly or children in their community.
d) I find it DISGUSTING people don’t care it’s not “I’ll be fine”, it’s “who will I give it to” – and are unwilling to put other’s lives before their stupid meeting or training that could be done on-line.
f) I find it DISGUSTING we are lacking leadership: In politics, in business leaders, in sports and even in our family and friends. This is a test to see if you have the morals and courage to put others first. A test of the elements of faith: giving & compassion.
“Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor”.
1 Corinthians 10:24
I pray for you all. Especially my friends in America with no health insurance. God help us if it hits them.
So, followers and fans: leave the yelling, gossip & chatter to me – I’m great at it! Now, let me rest and get healthy, and get back to work to find the economic end to modern slavery & human trafficking.
Love, from your big-mouthed, opinionated and very much non-apologetic resistance fighter.